scrumptious monkey

so much more than an amp -- and yet, not.

2.17.2006

Mostly Harmless... sure...

EJ at Antone's tonight...

Ok. As I was drifting off to sleep last night my alpha floating mind fixed on a ridiculous, Through-The-Looking-Glass Fantasy.

What's to stop me from getting into my pickup truck, driving down to Antone's, walking up to Eric and the guys and saying, "Hi I'm from the forum; can I watch you all load in and do the sound check, and write about it for the forum? You can read it over and have final editing say before I post it. I know I'm curious as heck, and I bet the forum folks would find it interesting, too."

well actually my own inhibitions, for one. Because I'm really so great at just walking on up to people and insinuating myself into their situation -- and, oh yeah -- EXPRESSLY to write about it.

and of course -- there's 15 minutes of Eric's time confounded by having to politely say what amounts to, "Are you out of your mind, Lady?! okay -- who had the 3:30 Friday afternoon slot in the betting pool on when we'd have to scrap this nutcase into a box and ship her back to Connecticut?..."

Sure would be cool, though.
Not the outright rejection, I'm not a masochist and I don't REALLY look for painful situations to squirm in -- but taking notes; writing down my observations...

THAT would be cool.

6 Comments:

Anonymous RobertG said...

Musical Serendipity

I'm reading this entry as Bud Powell plays "Nice Work If You Can Get It".

His stuff is sublime. I recommend the four CD set of complete Blue Note and Roost recordings.

2/17/2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger Ptelea said...

I would love to see you do this, without the 'shipping the nutcase back to Connecticut' part! Seriously, you would be great. I tend to have the same 'Through-The-Looking-Glass Fantasies' but I call them my 'Through-rose-colored-glasses fantasies!

Whatever you do, have a great time!

2/17/2006 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not that far out to ask this. Just call Park, he'll ask Eric. It's really not a big deal.
Remember I told you before: Eric is just a regular guy. And this is just a job for him.

In fact, now that I think of it, there was a writer who did exactly that with a band I was in a long time ago. The Ace Baker Band. He came and watched us set up and get tuned up, do a sound check, etc. Then he recounted it later, including right up to the moment the lights came on and the magic started.
I read it later and it was actually pretty cool! He was a better writer than I thought he would be. No one minded at all. He wasn't in the way or anything.
We ended up using his copy as text for our ad sheet.

Give Park a call. Seriously. I know what it would mean to you, and it's no skin off Eric's nose.
v

2/18/2006 12:41 AM  
Anonymous EE said...

I wish I had encouraged you to do this.

3/27/2006 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Ladybug,

You will always have a special place in my heart. Just know that. I miss you so much, that words can not begin to describe or explain. I miss you so very much! It hurts more that I can comprehend!

I'll always love you! Forever and no matter what!

Sweet dreams, my Dearest Angel and God Bless You!

3/28/2006 9:39 PM  
Anonymous Robin Stansbury said...

Lilly, as we called her, was a member of my poetry list, Poetic License. She was a constant source of joy, love, support, and (not trying to be irreverant) hilarity.
She could brighten the darkest of days. I will never forget her, and will cherish her memory always.
Happy Journey, My Friend.
Robin Stansbury, Poetic-license

4/11/2006 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home